Discover the color mastery tips from a renowned oil artist and teacher. Delve into the comprehensive text and exquisite illustrations that demonstrate all the must-knows for refined color technique.
Learn from Al Gury's nearly 30 years of experience teaching color for painters and his own search for the clearest and most practical ways for students to understand color in oil painting culminated in this dynamic color painting guide.
This exquisite guide provides clear examples of aesthetics and approaches rather than an exhaustive survey of artists or a scholarly work. Explore color through the practical application of techniques that master artist Al Gury has developed during his nearly 30 years of teaching.
With this dynamic guide, you'll:
- Discover the history of color theory—trace the use of color in Western art from the classical world to contemporary artists of today.
- Master your paints and be the director of your work with an in-depth exploration into the use and properties of various pigments and materials.
- Find the approach that works for you—explore the evolving approaches to color from tonal to pointillism to the modern use of color as psychological expression.
- Take on a master's approach to color mixing—discover numerous exercises for mixing and using your paints to reflect your vision.
- Follow along step by step with detailed oil demonstrations of all the basic color genres and techniques you need to take your artwork to the next level.
Students, experienced painters, teachers, and more will treasure this exploration of color and revisit this must-have guide again and again.
Discover over 140 richly illustrated images, including masterpieces from the past 500 years, with instruction every painter needs to confidently construct a painting with color.
Order your copy of one of Al Gury's finest works, Color for Painters, today!