You will love this art book if:
- You are a fan of Edgar Degas’ work
- You want to explore oil painting, mixed-media, and pastel techniques
- You are interested in art history and learning from the art masters
Paint like a master—paint like Degas! Join professional artist Damian Callan as he outlines Degas’ methods with practical exercises and step-by-step instruction to develop your painting skills. Explore the development of a pastel painting from initial charcoal line to richly colored and textured composition. Degas' handling of oil paints as well as his use of mixed media-combining monotype prints with pastel layers-are also examined and brought to life with new images in the style of this great artist. Learn the secrets of the master’s creativity, enriching your understanding of Degas’ work and showing how you can apply his techniques to give your own art even more depth and life.
In Paint Like Degas you will find:
- Steps to creating works of art with depth and atmosphere in pastel, oil paints, and mixed-media
- Exercises on subjects ranging from developing composition to layering colors to making monotypes
- Steps-by-step demonstrations to combine techniques to creating finished works of art
About the Author
Damian Callan studied painting at Edinburgh College of Art, and became interested in the moving figure. He has a studio in Edinburgh where he teaches classes, as well as at The National Gallery and Leith School of Art.