You will love this watercolor book if:
- You’ve enjoyed other titles by Cathy Johnson
- You want to improve your watercolor landscapes
- You are looking for painting inspiration
Hone your powers of observation in the world around you with the help of expert watercolor artist and best-selling author Cathy Johnson. See the natural world for its beauty and how it provides enough inspiration to last a lifetime. Whether it is a field of wild flowers, an exotic vacation, or the familiarity of your backyard, fine tune your painting skills to transport you back to those magical moments in time.
In Painting Nature in Watercolor, Cathy discusses various mediums and basic watercolor supplies so you can get out and paint en plein air, or stay in the comfort of your home. Follow along as each chapter covers how to paint in different habitats and key observations to make in each. Find an abundance of helpful tips and techniques with 37 step-by-step demonstrations for using watercolor pencil and paint. You can now breathe fresh air into your paintings by capturing nature’s treasures in watercolor with the help of Painting Nature in Watercolor.
Inside you will find:
- Chapter-by-chapter exploration of five diverse landscape themes: forests, water, meadows, mountains and deserts
- 37 step-by-step demonstrations from two of Cathy’s most beloved books, Creating Nature in Watercolor and Watercolor Pencil Magic
- Tips for capturing a variety of textures and subjects, including plants, trees, wildlife, rock formations, seasonal variations and more
- A wealth of expert advice on gathering reference materials, assembling your own field kit, painting people in nature and much more!
A Word From the Author
“Take a sketchbook, journal, or watercolor block outside and…all sorts of things we’d never have noticed while whizzing by in a car sudden captures our attention with their everyday magic.” –Cathy Johnson
About the Author
Cathy Johnson has written more than thirty-five books, many on art. She has been a contributing editor, writer and illustrator for Watercolor Artist for over a decade and has written regular columns for that
magazine and The Artist’s Magazine. She started the popular group blog Sketching in Nature (naturesketchers.blogspot.com). She also teaches online workshops at www.cathyjohnson.info and runs the blogs The Quicksilver Workaholic (katequicksilvr.livejournal.com) and Cathy Johnson Fine Art Galleries (cathyjohnsonart.blogspot.com). Johnson lives and works in Excelsior Springs, Missouri, with her husband and cats.
Table of Contents
Materials and supplies
Getting Started: Basic Techniques
Keeping an Artist’s Sketch Journal
Wood and Forests
By the Water
Prairies, Meadows and Fields
People in the Landscape