Jan Kunz clearly demonstrates and explains how to paint a portrait in watercolor. You will see the entire painting process from start to finish, including shortcuts and tips for achieving a likeness. In this film you will learn about:
- Taking resource photos that contain the necessary, subtle details and dramatic value shifts required for success
- Spotting & sculpting the facial planes to help ensure a likeness
- Shortcuts such as photo copies to access the value patterns
- Getting your value shifts right using Jans 40% rule
- Choosing color mixtures for skin
- Tricks and tools to get shine in hair
- How to paint eyes that "sparkle"
- Painting a mouth and teeth that look right
- Where to put the final crevice darks to bring your painting to life
- Integrating the whole painting with background colors. Jans instruction is clear and logical. You will understand the why as well as how to do each step.
Limited drawing skills won't hold you back in Jan's workshop. You'll learn to take great reference photos then trace and transfer the crucial shapes to your paper.
Jan Kunz shows you every tip and shortcut she has to help you get a portrait you can be proud of. Jan starts with an information-rich photograph, and demonstrates all the steps you'll need for success:
- drawing and sculpting facial planes to help ensure a likeness;
- use of photocopies to access value patterns;
- getting your value shifts right, using Jan's 40% rule;
- choosing color mixtures for skin;
- painting a mouth and teeth that look right;
- placing the final crevice darks to bring your painting to life; and
- integrating the whole painting with background colors.
This workshop will save any painter years of trial and error with a difficult subject.
Add a personal touch to your portfolio in Painting Watercolor Portraits: A Simple Approach from Photo to Finish with Jan Kunz.