You’ll Love This Urban Sketching Book If:
- You like to observe and capture the environments around you on paper
- You use a sketchbook and make a point to bring it with you wherever you go
- You want to learn drawing techniques for a variety of different environments
Sketch Your World by James Hobbs will help you open up your mind to the world around you in order to better portray the environments you observe. A proponent of using a sketchbook, Hobbs encourages you to often have one on hand, and even teaches you how to create your own. Other drawing resources are also explored, explained, and recommended, like digital tools and different types of pencils and pens. Once you have the essential materials to get started, it’s all about finding your location and subject, honing your observational skills, mastering drawing speed, and utilizing drawing fundamentals. Sketching and drawing techniques are complemented by ample instruction and plenty of visual examples from a variety of experienced artists, helping to clarify the concepts covered.
If you’re looking to get out, observe the world around you, and capture various locations and moments in your sketchbook or on your tablet, expect to find no shortage of drawing inspiration here. Get out and explore urban sketching!
In Sketch Your World You’ll Find:
- Examples of work and approaches from 60+ contemporary urban artists
- Explores a variety of techniques, including ways to work with digital tools such as tablets and smart pens
- Features a range of different scenes, from bustling cafés to quiet parks
About the Author:
James Hobbs is a London-based freelance journalist and artist, and a former editor of Artists & Illustrators magazine. His work has been shortlisted for the Jerwood Drawing Prize, and is in a number of European collections. Prints of his work have been on sale in stores worldwide. He is a board member of Urban Sketchers, the global community of artists who draw on location, and a founding member of the London Urban Sketchers.