Learn to paint watercolor landscapes from the best!
With Urban Landscape in Watercolor you’ll spend over two hours with John Salminen, watercolor master! Take this unbelievable journey!
- Begin by hitting the streets of New York with John to gather candid reference shots for urban scenes. You’ll see how John shoots with a designer’s eye, keeping his paintings in mind while he searches for the perfect scenario.
- When you return to the studio, you’ll see how John modifies the colors and compositions of his reference materials—a unique approach to creating one-of-a-kind painting.
- When it’s time to begin the piece, John teaches you a simple system for accurately transferring complex images to watercolor paper—a great way to get started.
- John lays the foundation of his piece with careful masking and vivid washes of hard-to-define colors. See this technique first-hand and learn his secrets for painting unique background washes.
- You’ll see John’s value relationships come to focus as he fills his landscape with shimmering streets and glowing neons, a technique and subject matter that he is known for. Learn how he uses these mesmerizing reflective effects as an entry point to his compositions and directs viewers’ attention with white paper.
- Plus! Learn John’s secret for toning down conflict with a mouth atomizer!
With John Salminen as your guide, you’ll learn how to continually solve design problems, modify colors in the foreground of your painting, how to lift out and enhance lines in your work, and so much more. And as if working with John one-on-one wasn’t enough, this workshop also includes exercises in perspective drawing and extensive discussions of design and reference photography.